>> POST HISTORY
History of Post 28 The Bonnie Sloan Post 28, American Legion was named after the first Floyd County casualty of World War I, a native of Edwardsville, who died in action on June 24, 1918, just 22 days after his arrival on the front lines at Chateau Thierry, France. On August 14th, 1919, in the basement of the Elsby Building, Sherman Minton spearheaded the first organizational meeting to form the American Legion in New Albany, Indiana. As temporary Chairman, Minton conducted the first meeting on September 3, 1919, with twenty-two members in attendance. Election of officers was held and the Constitution was adopted. Since the inception of Post 28, members have met in various places such as the Elsby Building, Floyd County Circuit Court Room, YMCA, Armory, Calumet Club, Chamber of Commerce Building, and VFW Post. The first Legion Home purchased was the Fire House at West 4th and Market Streets in 1923, which remained the Post Home until 1933, when the building at East 5th and Market Streets (present VFW Home) was bought. Soon after the 1937 flood the Bir Home located at East 13th and Main Street was purchased for the Legion Home. As World War II was ending in 1946, the Culbertson Mansion, at 914 Main Street was bought for the Post Home. In 1964 the Legion sold the Mansion to the New Albany Historical Society and began renovating the Carriage House behind the Mansion for the Post Home, which was destroyed by fire on June 6, 1980. The property at 431 Pearl Street was purchased on February 24, 1981. It took one year to excavate and renovate into a nice facility for the members. On March 20, 1982, the first function held in the Post Home was the Legion Birthday Celebration. In 1993 the Legion purchased 4.5 acres of land at 1930 McDonald Lane and built their FIRST NEW POST HOME, which opened for business on December 4, 1994, with Post dedication ceremonies being held on February 18, 1995.